Monthly Rent Reduced to $1 After Apartment Fire
LVT Number: #26747
Tenant complained of a reduction in services after a fire rendered his apartment uninhabitable. The DRA reduced tenant’s rent to $1 per month while he was displaced. Landlord appealed and lost. Landlord claimed that tenant caused the fire by use of a faulty microwave oven. Unless there was gross negligence or criminality on the part of the tenant, the cause of the fire is irrelevant to the DHCR’s decision to reduce the rent after HPD issues a vacate order.
Emerald Green LP: DHCR Adm. Rev. Docket No. DP210002RO (11/6/15) [2-pg. doc.]